FFAS > News > 2010-2011 ASHSAA BOYS' FUTSAL > Vikings win thrilling boys’ HS Futsal final

Vikings win thrilling boys’ HS Futsal final

In the game for 3rd and 4th place, Leone edged Samoana 5-3 after starting off in a 2-0 hole.
Shalom Luani was everwhere, whether it be defending or assisting on goals while his older sibling’s tenacity, nose for the ball and no fear play were huge keys in winning the first ever Futsal championship in ASHSAA history.
Roy Luani pounced on a lazy header inside Tafuna territory, went by a defender who overshot him and slotted home the winning goal against the competition’s top goalie, Fa’apouli Feagaimaali’i.
It was a thrilling match as the Warriors, looking up at a 4-1 deficit, came back to tie it off of a one-man show by Dion Ott.
Two successive goals six minutes into the final period had the Vikings up by three and that’s where Ott turned it on with nimble footwork by blowing past two defenders, including the younger of the opposing brothers to sneak a shot past goalie Mason Jennings. Score — Vikings 4, Warriors 2.
Two minutes later Ott blasted a quick shot to Mason’s chest, catching him unawares as he mishandled it into the net. Score — Vikings 4, Warriors 3.
Finally, his magical dribbling came through again as he nutmegged (dribbled ball through the legs) of an opponent, stutter stepped another to bypass him all the while drawing the goalie to the left side of the goal. A split second after getting past the last defender he passed to a wide-open Falanasisi Tomasi for the easy tap-in to equalize with 5:10 remaining to play.
In the end his heroics were not enough to push them to a great comeback win as he was outnumbered by the great sibling duo of Roy and Shalom.
The latter went the length of the court to assist his brother on the match’s first goal two minutes into the match and Tomasi replied six minutes later by slotting in a rebound off of an Ott free kick for a 1-1 score.
With 5:12 to play Shalom blasted a free kick more than 25-feet away and right through the legs of Tafuna’s defensive wall to take a 2-1 lead into the break.
Five minutes into the second half Harry Alo scored on a rebound of a Shalom free kick and this led to a Tafuna timeout. Returning from the 60-second break the Warriors restarted from mid-court but a defender’s lazy pass turned into an opportunity for Roy as he sprung on it to score a searing shot from a few feet away to push their lead up to 4-1.
FFAS-sponsored trophies from 1-4 were handed out by DOE Athletics Department coordinator Vanu Moe, soccer association’s executive committee member Silasila Samuelu and Tafuna High School principal and ASHSAA member Lentoy Matagi.

Related posts