FFAS > News > BOYS HS 2016-2017 SOCCER > Boys HS soccer playoffs underway

Boys HS soccer playoffs underway

The ASHSAA Boys soccer playoffs got underway with thrilling games that ended in
close wins in both the varsity and J-V divisions on Saturday, April 29, 2017 at Pago Park
Soccer Stadium.
In varsity results, it was No. 1 Samoana Sharks 1, No. 8 Kanana Fou Stallions 0; No. 2
SPA Dolphins 3, No. 7 Faga’itua Vikings 2; No. 3 Tafuna Warriors 1, No. 6 Fa’asao-
Marist Crusaders 0, and No. 4 Iakina will play No. 5 Leone Lions on Monday, May 1.
J-V results saw No. 2 Warriors edge No. 3 Lions 1-0, while No. 4 Faga’itua was awarded
a win by forfeit over No. 5 Crusaders. No. 1 Samoana sat out the first round of the J-V
playoffs, and will play on Monday, May 1 against Faga’itua.
All eight teams in the varsity division made the playoffs, as well as all five teams in the
J-V competition.
Faga’itua scored first, but it was the defending champions that scored last to win the
game thanks to a goal from Joshua Tabui with five minutes to spare in the game.
The Vikings scored three minutes into the match when Raemos Fano beat his defender at
the edge of the box, and slotted the ball past SPA’s goalie.
Harvey Manu equalized for the Dolphins late in the first half, and both teams went into
the break tied, 1-1.
In the second period, Faga’itua went one up on the Dolphins with Alex Paletaleo scoring
on a rebound off of a blocked shot. Again, Manu equalized on a direct free kick from the
edge of the box that just went over the hands of Faga’itua’s goalie, and into the back of
the net.
Tabui then scored the game-winner on a rolling shot that crawled into the far post with
five minutes left in the game.
Samoana dominated possession of the ball, and played most of both halves deep inside
Kanana Fou territory. However, they only had one goal from all of their troubles inside
Stallions real estate, thanks to a goal from Elliot Lelei.
Lelei blasted a shot from inside the penalty area that the goalie had no chance of stopping
early in the first half. But they also had several one-v-one opportunities against Kanana
Fou, only to have the goalie stop each shot.
Kanana Fou could have tied it with less than 10 minutes to play, and with the goal mouth
wide open, but their striker just could not get to the ball in time to knock it in for the
Kennedy Taimalie scored the game’s only goal in the first half for Tafuna, enough to put
them through to the semi-finals despite dominating ball and territorial possession.
The Crusaders threatened a few times in the match, and turned it up in the last five
minutes but it was still not enough to score the equalizing goal.
The Warriors were constantly on the attack, and at times had the ball inside Fa’asao-
Marist’s six-yard box, but they could never complete their goal scoring attacks.
It was a game that could have gone either way with none of the two teams dominating the
possession and territorial dispute last Saturday.
Tafuna’s New Year Villar finally broke the scoreless tie in the second half, but Leone had
ample chances themselves to score, but just could not finish it off.
In the other J-V game, the Faga’itua Vikings were awarded the win by forfeit because the
Crusaders did not have enough players to start the match.
Both divisions are expected to end by Thursday, May 4, 2017.

Related posts