FFAS > News > MEN'S 2010 FFAS NATIONAL LEAGUE > Pago Youth A stuns Black Roses in title match

Pago Youth A stuns Black Roses in title match

Pago Youth has now won their second FFAS National League title in three years, winning their first in 2008.
The domination of Black Roses was fast and quick with Ryan Samuelu scoring two goals 10 minutes into the match.
“This championship is dedicated to our player that passed away at a young age, Darren Smith ‘Mifi’ Tualaulelei,” said Silasila Samuelu, president of Pago Youth. “We lost him at such a young age and our club dedicate this win to him.”
Pago Youth players said his nickname ‘Mifi’ out loud when breaking their huddle before kickoff.
“The score of the game was actually a surprise, I didn’t think we were going to win by as much as we did,” explained Samuelu. “I’m very proud of how our team played and congratulations to all of them for a job well done.”
Li’a Amisone Jr. of Pago Youth was named MVP of the competition after a stellar performance as defender, helping Pago Youth go undefeated during the group stage in what was considered the tougher of the two pools.
“He deserves the award,” Samuelu said.
Black Roses finally answered when Faoa Fikurani tapped in a shot by teammate Iele Siaulaiga that Pago Youth goalie Henry Chin-Fu Ta’ase was boggling. The goal cut the deficit down to 2-1.
“I also tip my hat off to Black Roses for their accomplishment of reaching the final,” Samuelu explained. “They are a very hard team to play against because they have a lot of very good players.”
Ailao Tualaulelei Jr., older brother to Mifi, added to Pago’s scoring spree with nifty footwork to neutralize four defenders before breaking away to blast his first of two goals into the back of the net.
Fikurani came back with a goal of his own and it was a 3-2 game.
But Pago continued to score almost at will with Ben Satele sending a boomin kick down field with Tualaulelei chasing it down and heading in a favorable bounce that went in for the 5-2 score.
To finish off the high scoring first half, team captain Satele knocked in the penalty with about 10 minutes to play after a hand ball inside the penalty area for a commanding 6-2 lead they took into the break.
“I want to personally thank Peter E. Reid Stevedoring and their CEO Mark Foster for their support of our club, as well as Senator, High Chief Asuega Fa’amamaata Lauvai and Rep. Va’amua Henry Sesepasara,” thanked Samuelu. “Their support is well appreciated by our club.”